[Fontinst] Kerning of the dotlessi

Plamen Tanovski pgt at arcor.de
Sat Aug 23 23:16:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

I had to typeset some turkish last days and I've realized, that there
is no kerning regarding the dotlessi, so "Y\i lmaz" looks suboptimal.
The files in the latinmtx folder don't have any kerning commands for
the dotlessi.

My first suggestion was: let the dotlessi kern on its left and right
like a "n". MinionPro have e.g.:

KPX Y dotlessi -90
KPX Y n -90
KPX Y u -99

The problem with this is, that there are no many kerning pairs with
"n" in the most fonts. For example, Adobe Stempel Garamond Roman
doesn't have a kerning pair Y-n. All the Y- pairs are:

KPX Y A -74
KPX Y a -74
KPX Y colon -92
KPX Y comma -111
KPX Y e -74
KPX Y hyphen -92
KPX Y i -37
KPX Y o -74
KPX Y p -74
KPX Y period -111
KPX Y q -74
KPX Y semicolon -92
KPX Y u -74
KPX Y v -55

Since Y-dotlessi seems to be a very common pair in turkish, maybe
llbuild.mtx should include something like:

\ifiskern{Y}{n}\then
  \setkern{Y}{dotlessi}{\kerning{Y}{n}}
\Else
  \setkern{Y}{dotlessi}{\kerning{Y}{u}}
\Fi

\setleftkerning{dotlessi}{n}{1000}
\setrightkerning{dotlessi}{n}{1000}

This lets me to the idea to maybe introduce language-specific mtx-files,
where people can put the desired kerning adjustment for their language.

best regards,

Plamen Tanovski