[Fontinst] kerns for digits

Walter Schmidt w.a.schmidt at gmx.net
Fri Aug 5 14:03:39 CEST 2005

Thanh Han The schrieb:

> and pplr8t indeed contains kerns for digits (for example 1 <-> 1)

Btw, this is actually the _only_ kern pair for digits in
this font (Palatino Roman).

> I have been digging for a while in fontinst sources and
> documentation to find out why the fonts coming with texlive
> and tetex don't have this problem, but without success.

Because I use to remove such annoying kerning pairs when
installing fonts for TeX :-)

As far as Palatino is concerned, I admit that "11" looks
indeed slightly better with a small amount of negative
kerning.  OTOH, this ruins tabular arrangements, which
would a far more serious drawback.  Note, however, that
I would not remove such kerning pairs, when digits have
non-uniform width.

> Can
> someone please give me a hint what I am missing?

You did not examine the fontinst sources of PSNFSS
collection, see <CTAN:fonts/psfonts/psnfss-source/>.

best wishes
Walter