[Fontinst] fonts in pdftex vs tex+ghostscript

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 11 23:01:25 CEST 2005

  >> ???  Without privileges, I would not expect to be able to install
  >> a new font.

  > Well, I guess that depends on what one understands by "installing
  > a font". :-) Actually, I've finally succeded in installing two new
  > fonts in my user account and they work flawlessly both with pdftex
  > and tex+ghostscript!

  > The only change with respect to Lehman's guide has been the
  > modification of the file pdftex.map instead of pdftex.cfg. I've
  > copied pdftex.map to ~Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/ and
  > appended at the end the text in the map files for the fonts.

  > Probably not the best way of installing the fonts, I agree, and
  > I'm afraid that it may not work if the directory structure is
  > changed in future revisions, but it'll do for the time being.

It's much easier now with teTeX-3.0 (and certainly in the next release
of TeX-Live).

You just have to install everything in $TEXMFHOME and run updmap.
For a site-wide installation you have to use the new program
updmap-sys.

Same for texconfig[-sys] and fmtutil[-sys].  You do not need special
privileges any more.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25