[Fontinst] "Capital" glyphs in TS1 encoding

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Apr 28 11:31:52 CEST 2005

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> /capitalgrave
[...]
> The documentation describes them as being "intended for use with
> capital letters." I wonder what this actually means. Are they there to
> meet the needs and impression of small capital letters, i.e. smallcaps,
> or are they there to be put on the regular capital letters of the font?
> If so then they're simply superfluous because the T1 and TS1 encodings
> already have them:
>
> /grave
[...]
> So they are smallcaps, aren't they?

No, they are not for small caps. And they are not superfluous. There are
good reasons to have differently shaped accents for upper- and lowercase
letters (and maybe even a third type for small caps). One reason is that
there often isn't much space above a uc letter. So things like grave or
acute can't be as steep. For more details have a look at Victor Gaultney
'Problems of diacritic design for Latin script text faces'
<URL:http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/research.html>.

cheerio
ralf

Ralf Stubner        *       mailto:ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Lehrstuhl fuer theoretische Festkoerperphysik      *      Staudtstr. 7
D-91058 Erlangen    *    http://www.tfkp.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~ralf/