[Fontinst] letterspacing

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se
Fri Apr 15 12:24:51 CEST 2005

At 10.42 +0200 2005-04-15, Michael Zedler wrote:
>Hello,
>
>how can I apply letterspacing for small caps fonts, including the
>compound glyphs fi/fl/ff/ffi/ffl/ij/ss/SS?
>
>I've tried
>
>\relax
>\metrics
>\setint{letterspacing}{40}
>\setint{smallcapsspacing}{40}
>\endmetrics
>
>and added a local copy of lsmisc.mtx in whicht I've set
>\setint{smallcapsspacing}{20}, too, but still the compound glyphs aren't
>letterspaced.

The problem is probably that a slightly more stupid version of the code in
lsmisc.mtx got left over in lsfake.mtx (section "Miscellaneous glyphs").
Try commenting that out instead.

>In addition, how do I increase the inter-word space by a
>factor of 20%?

Naively by a \resetint{interword}{\scale{\int{interword}}{1200}}, but since
interword often doesn't get defined before the ETX file where it is used,
you may have to copy the default code for setting it, as well. Then you get

  \ifisglyph{space}\then
     \setint{interword}{\width{space}}
  \Else\ifisglyph{i}\then
     \setint{interword}{\width{i}}
  \Else
     \setint{interword}{333}
  \Fi\Fi
  \resetint{interword}{\scale{\int{interword}}{1200}}

as a complete chunk of code to put in some MTX file.