[Fontinst] ugly Polish diacritics

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Mon Feb 24 16:18:17 CET 2003

Hi!

The Polish characters aogonek, eogonek, Aogonek, Eogonek and
zdot are often ugly, sometimes even unusable, when faked by
fontinst:

(1)
The dot of the zdot should match the dot of the i.
Of course, fontinst cannot do anything about the size of the
dot accent, but we can -- at least -- build zdot in a way so
that the height of the dot matches the height of the i.  See
the macro \idotaccent in the attached pl-fix.mtx

(2)
With Eogonek and Aogonek, the ogonek often protrudes over
the right edge of the letter.  This can be avoided by
building the glyphs in a way so that the the right edge of
the ogonek is aligned with the right edge of the letter.
See the macro \capitalogonekaccent in the attached file
pl-fix.mtx.  This solution does, however, not ensure that
the resulting character looks really good; it just saves us
from one particular problem.  Furthermore, it does not work
with monospaced fonts, where the bare ogonek acent has the
same width as all other characters.

(3)
Horizontal placement of the ogonek in the glyphs agonek and
eogonek is not always good.  I have no idea how to get it
automatically right.  I think one cannot do without manual
interaction.  For instance, my VFs for the DayRoman font
were created with fixes such as

  \resetglyph{aogonek}
     \botaccent{a}{ogonek}{412}% originally {850}
  \endsetglyph

(4)
I know at least one case (Adobe Palatino), where also the
vertical placement of the ogonek is wrong.  Try the
following:

  {\fontfamily{ppl}\selectfont \k{a}, \k{e}, \k{A}, \k{E}}

and use Adobe Palatino rather than URW Palladio for viewing
or printing  (If you do not have the Adobe fonts, take a look
at <http://home.vr-web.de/was/x/ppl-bug.pdf>).  Note that the
VFs in the PSNFSS diszrib were actually built using Adobe's
AFM files, not URW's!  I have no idea what can be done in a
case like this :-(

Greetings
Walter