[Fontinst] Mantinia

Philipp Lehman lehman@gmx.net
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:15:22 +0100

On Sunday 12 January 2003 14:29, Adrian Heathcote wrote:

> > Are they encoded by default?
>
> Yes, that's the good news. Nothing in this font has slot -1.
> Everything is encoded. The problem is just the names.

All right, but the updated 8r vector should solve both problems so you
can reencode to 8r as usual.

> >> So my question is: can I find out by some method---I guess by
> >> reverse engineering---where these missing glyphs are?
> >
> > Look at it in a font viewer/editor that will display the encoding
> > slot number along with the PostScript glyph name. Which platform
> > are you on? I could recommend some UNIX apps...
>
> On MacOsX. So UNIX apps are good.

Viewer: gfontview
Editor: pfaedit

You will find pointers to them (and tons of other free UNIX apps) on:

        http://freshmeat.net

Maybe they're included in the Fink project?

        http://fink.sourceforge.net

> But if I know the keystrokes that produce the problem glyphs, and I
> can use that to find the slot number, then can't I just use your
> extended 8r encoding to access these glyphs under their MacRoman
> names?

Right, that was the point of updating 8r. But you still need the glyph
names if you want to rename later. The crucial piece of information
is linking the actual glyph outline (e.g. some non-standard ligature
like 'fj') to a misleading glyph name (like 'lozenge' or 'infinity').

> But am I right in thinking that the first line here
>
> \transformfont{manr8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{manr8a}}}
> \installfonts
>

> needs to be changed to something like
>
> \transformfont{manr8r}{\reencodefont{8r}{\fromafm{manr8m}}}
> \installfonts
>                        ^^
>
> Or should it be left as 8a?

Frankly, it doesn't matter since you are not using \latinfamily. If
the fonts are real MacRoman fonts, '8m' would be correct but
technically, it doesn't matter at all.

> > Kievit is based on Adobe Standard encoding but since it
> > apparently comes from the Mac, some of the glpyhs are labeled
> > using MacRoman glyph names. The non-standard 'fj' ligature was
> > encoded as the MacRoman glpyh 'Delta', 'ffi' is labeled
> > 'infinity' and so on.
>
> How did you find out they were there in this instance?

I've simply looked at the pfb files with gfontview and double checked
the data in the afm files. In gfontview, use "Make font table" to get
a glyph table. If you hoover over one of the glyphs with the mouse
pointer, the PS name of this glyph (as defined in the pfb file) will
be displayed on the status line of the window. pfaedit will provide
the same information in its main window.

The advantage of this over working with platform-specific keyboard
shortcuts is that you circumvent all the idiosyncrasies of system-
level font support and get straight to the information available that
fontinst and later dvips, pdftex etc. will use. This makes
'debugging' fonts a lot easier.

--
Philipp Lehman  <lehman@gmx.net>