[Fontinst] letterspacing

Walter Schmidt Walter Schmidt" <w-a-schmidt@arcor.de
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 02:18:28 +0100 (MEZ)

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:02:19 +1100, Adrian Heathcote wrote:

>I've never heard this advice that footnotes should
>be letterspaced.

You are mixing up two issues:

(1)
_Noticeable_ letterspacing as a means of emphasizing.
Of course, there is no need to do so generally in footnotes.

(2)
Small font sizes should not just be scaled down; additionally,
a little bit (!) of letterspacing should be applied.  (Unless
you have particular, small, design sizes, anyway.)  This will
not be actually noticeable; it just improves readability.

I assume that Oliver meant #2 when referring to footnotes.

just my 2c
Walter