[Fontinst] Alternates failing

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:20:06 +0100

At 05.05 +0100 2002-12-19, Adrian Heathcote wrote:
>Hi once again
>
>Having gone through the entire installation process for the Agaramond
>alternatives, I find that something must have gone wrong at a
>fundamental level.
>
>Having tried to follow Alan Hoenig's instructions to the letter, there
>is an error in the output of Dvips. The error reads: Warning module
>writet1 of dvips (file padr7l): character 117 is mapped to .notdef.
>
>(This should have been a long-tailed Q)
>
>My map file entry here is just
>
>padr7l AGaramondAlt-Regular <padr7l.pfb
>
>And similar for the italic.

Sounds like a case of "garbage in, garbage out". Something seems to have
told fontinst that slot 117 in padr7l contains a glyph, but the PFB doesn't
agree. First order of business should then be to compare the AFM, MTX, and
(encoding vector in the) PFB for the AGaramondAlt-Regular font.

BTW, I think 7a is now the (according to fontname) standard variant code
for fonts such as this one. (Or does maybe "alternate encoding" refers to
something else?)

Lars Hellström