[Fontinst] "raw" fonts

Walter Schmidt Walter Schmidt" <was@vr-web.de
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 17:36:50 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 15:53:35 +0100, Rolf Marvin B°e Lindgren wrote:

>if I would like to use one of the "extra"
>glyphs of, say, an ornament font, then that's not possible - because the
>raw fonts are tied to a standard encoding.  is this right?

Yes.  As the name says, \latinfamily is for the latin alphabet,
not for symbol fonts.  \latinfamily makes VFs, which are based on
8r-reencoded raw fonts.  Most likely, the 8r reencoding vector
would ignore the extra glyphs, so they are not accessible.

Ornament (symbol) fonts can be turned into TFMs in a much easier
way:  Just run the AFM through the afm2tfm program.  The resulting
TFM will simply reflect the encoding of the real font.  However,
this does not constitute a problem for a symbol or "pi" font
(provided that all glyphs are actually encoded).

You may, however, run into trouble, if a text font includes
both an alphabet and a few additional glyphs, which are not
captured by 8r reencoding.  You may think of using the raw font
(TFM generated via afm2tfm) for the extra symbols and the
reencoded one (from fontinst) for the normal letters.  However,
using the same font in both raw and reencoded form in one
document does not work with dvips.  As to pdfTeX, I don't know.
(BTW, it _does_ work with VTeX.)  I actually ran into this
problem with a customized text font which included an additional
corporate logo.

HTH
Walter