glyph names for accents

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:32:58 +0200

At 17.16 +0200 2001-08-17, vvv@vvv.vsu.ru wrote:
>Hello,

I assume you're talking about .etx files rather than .enc files below:

>1) the file t1.enc has definitions like:
>
>\setslot{\lc{Grave}{grave}}
>   \comment{The grave accent `\`{}'.}
>\endsetslot
>
>which means that for normal T1-encoded font the glyph will be named
>`grave', and for caps-and-small-caps T1-encoded font, the glyph will
>be named `Gravesmall'.
>
>But the EC fonts, which are the prototype for the T1 encoding, use the
>same accent, grave, in both `normal' and `caps-and-small-caps' fonts.
>
>So, should the above be changed to just the following?
>
>\setslot{grave}
>   \comment{The grave accent `\`{}'.}
>\endsetslot
>
>(and similarly for other accents).

Hmm... I'm pretty sure some fonts have different x-height in the n and sc
shapes, and in those cases the accents may have to be different if they are
to be put at the same height above the x-height, provided all metric data
is correct. It is far from certain that fontinst automatically gets it
sufficiently right for this to be seen, though.

Thus I'd say no, but there might be a point in using some new macro instead
of \lc to form accent names.

>2) the file ts1.enc has definitions like:
>
>\setslot{capitalgrave}
>   \comment{The grave accent `\capitalgrave{}', intended for use with
>      capital letters.}
>\endsetslot
>
>but this glyph name is not standard (which is the Adobe Glyph List),
>and should be changed to Grave:
>
>\setslot{Grave}
>   \comment{The grave accent `\capitalgrave{}', intended for use with
>      capital letters.}
>\endsetslot
>
>(with the corresponding changes to textcomp.mtx)

Agreed. There are probably more cases like that.

>Comments are appreciated.

The ETX and MTX files that come with fontinst are long overdue for a
complete revision. I've done some work on it (but progress is slow and I'd
really prefer that someone assumed maintainence responsibility for these
files) and it might in time (a loooong time from now, as it seems) become a
sort of v2.0 of these files.

As a first step I have tried to device some sort of draft standard for how
(La)TeX encodings are specified, which can be found at

  http://abel.math.umu.se/~lars/encodings/

An important novelty is that Unicode is taken as a standard in relation to
which encodings are defined. I had primarily intended it for discussion on
the LATEX-L list, but so far I haven't recieved any comments on it, so that
discussion never started. Feel free to send comments to this list instead!

In relation to item 2 above I might mention that in the t1draft.etx that
appears in that directory, there are a number of glyphs for which I there
use Adobe standard names rather than the names in the current t1.etx. All
the ETXs and MTXs should be changed accordingly, but it remains to see when
that will happen.

Lars Hellström