[Q] Extending existing Type-1 installations with fontinst

Hilmar Schlegel schlegel@vossnet.de
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:37:18 +0200

Anshuman Pandey schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I recently posted a query regarding the generation of an "fj" ligature for
> a Type-1 font to comp.text.tex. I followed-up by posting a second, more
> detail, query but was unable to elicit any response. Perhaps this list is
> more disposed to such inquiries. If not, I shall bite my tongue and make
> my way tail between legs.

Hm...

> The responses I received to my initial question suggested two distinct
> approaches. The first was to create a hack of an "fj" glyph from the
> original typeface using a font editor and then use virtual font magic to
> derive a solution. The second was to use fontinst to fake an "fj" glyph.
> I'm going to try the second.

There *are* two solutions, which are however not what you seem to have
received.

1. Do some Postscript magics with the font itself to cut off the dot
from the j (the setup for Dvips was assembled by Thierry Bouche)
2. some fontinst code which works with almost every font

ad 1.: This requires to run against a PS interpreter in case you do want
to see anything. You could use GS, Acrobat Distiller, or a printer. It
won't work with XDvi (unless you produce bitmap fonts from the
outlines), with previewers using ATM &c. The code is clever but you
cannot work with given standard fonts.

ad 2.: There is even a poor-mans solution for Latex which uses the
original idea which even doesn't require to change anything with respect
to the fonts. You can use it for just writing the one "fjord" or
"Strafjustiz" which might appear in your text (on white background ;-).

The more advanced fontinst solution is capable to work without
interference with colors on PS interpreters and just fine on white
background on all other preview devices (modulo a fixed bug of Xdvi).
The key-advantage is that you can use any given standard font without
modification of the font itself.

I found it quite usable instead of introducing the fj ligature (if the
bonafide thing is not available) for the f dotlessj combination, to use
a fdotlessj ligature (and writing "f\j ord") in order have control about
the feature.

> 3. Revise the glyph definition of "dotlessj" to define an actual
>    glyph. Since "dotlessj" is not part of the standard Adobe encoding, the
>    latin.mtx file produces a warning for most Type-1 fonts.

You'd better just put in the fake here...

>    This may not even be possible. Actually, I don't see how I could
>    generate a faux glyph. I'm thinking some magic with "dotlessi" and "j",
>    or some digital whiteout to block out the tittle.

This is basically the idea.

> Before I begin could anyone please enlighten me as to the implications of
> the arduous undertaking? Is it possible to add a new glyph to existing T1
> metrics via virtual fonts, etc.?

It works just fine & smooth without any (bad) notice from the readers;-)

Best wishes

Hilmar Schlegel

###