fontinst and OSF

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Tue, 2 May 2000 10:58:16 -0400

At 20.48 +0200 0-04-28, Ralph Aichinger wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I am a rather unexperienced user of TeX and fontinst, but I want to
>try installing a font with oldstyle figures nevertheless.
>
>I followed the example in the documentation and installing it worked
>for me, but I have one problem: I want OSF as a default, even in
>page and section numbers, as well as in text, without the \oldstylefigs
>command.

(If you mean the LaTeX \oldstylenums command then you most likely shouldn't
use that, since the oldstyle figures it produces are fetched from a math
font.)

>In the german-speaking TeX newsgroup I was pointed towards the
>ECO package, but this works only with CM fonts -- and to me it
>too complicated to understand what magic it does to get OSF in
>the place of tabular figures.
>
>Any hints that save me from butchering up the font in Fontographer?

Well, using fontinst can certainly do the trick, but what you have to do
depends a bit on which fonts you have to start with. If there are Expert
fonts for your family and you've got these, then you can use \latinfamily
straight on---just add a `j' as the fourth letter of the family name
argument, e.g.

  \latinfamily{padj}{}

will create an Adobe Garamond family with hanging (a.k.a. oldstyle)
figures. For LaTeX, this family will have the NFSS family name `padj'.

In other cases things get trickier. There was a discussion on this list
back in December on this matter.

Lars Hellström