Installing and naming unusual variants

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:03:43 -0500

Ulrik wrote:
>Now, for the outline variant, you're out of luck, I'm afraid,
>as you'd have to add the shape manually to the *bhv.fd files.

I think this is a bit misleading, Ulrik. You only have to add the shape
manually if you are installing all the other fonts using \latinfamily; if
you do an explicit \installfonts ... \endinstallfonts for the fonts then
you can just as well include an \installfont for the outline shape as well.

In the former case you can still have fontinst write the \DeclareFontShape
entries for you---just make another fontinst run with \installfont commands
for the outline font (in the different encodings you want), then copy the
\DeclareFontShape entries from the new FD files into the corresponding
files generated by \latinfamily. The catch with this is that both fontinst
runs will generate FD files with the same names, so you have to move the
first set of FD files before generating the second, since otherwise
fontinst will overwrite them.

Lars Hellström