.fd file names from fontinst

Alan Jeffrey ajeffrey@cs.depaul.edu
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:26:50 -0600

The naming of .fd files is a subject of much debate...

The .fd files on CTAN use the ISO 9660 file format, so they can be put
on CD-ROMs which run on pretty much anything.  ISO 9660 mandates
lower-case-only 8+3 filenames.

Fontinst itself generates mixed-case names.

Alan.
--
Alan Jeffrey, CTI, DePaul University, 243 S Wabash, Chicago IL 60604
ajeffrey@cs.depaul.edu           http://klee.cs.depaul.edu/ajeffrey/

From r.m.b.lindgren@usit.uio.no 03 Feb 1999 14:17:43 +0100
From: Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren <r.m.b.lindgren@usit.uio.no>
Date: 03 Feb 1999 14:17:43 +0100
To: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc: fontinst@cogs.susx.ac.uk
Subject: Re: .fd file names from fontinst

[ Paul Walker

| Do most people use Tex on systems that are case-insensitive?

[ Sebastian Rahtz

| many people do. its called Windows, by a software company in the USA

there's another American software company called Apple that maintains a
case-insensitive operating system that is popular in some academic
institutions.  it's called MacOS.

then there's VMS, also case-insensitive.  in fact, only Unix as far as I
know _is_ case-sensitive.

--
Rolf Lindgren
roffe@ask.uio.no