fontinst-1.8 release

Ulrik Vieth vieth@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:23:49 +0200

>> Both packages use different font names, but some of the family
>> names and fd file names are the same, so it's not recommended to
>> install both

> sadly, that means that the PSNFSS is going to have to stay with the
> old one only. I cannot risk a deluge of complaints. Cannot mathptmx
> be  made entirely independent?

It could, if you have a good suggestion for a family name.  The
problem is that I was running out of meaningful names and that LaTeX
allows no more than 5 characters per family name to ensure that .fd
file names don't execeed 8 characters.  What else but "ptmcm" could
we use for mathptmx?  I would have prefered a z-prefix (i.e. zptmcm
or zcmptm) but that would make it too long, I'm afraid.  Appending
an x-suffix might be misleading, since it's not an expert font.
Any ideas?

Cheers, Ulrik.