Behaviour of \latinfamily

Alan Jeffrey ajeffrey@cs.depaul.edu
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 11:23:22 -0500

> Isn't it just?  Thanks for this.  One question: I take it that the
> \latex_family parameter is what's used to build the fd file, so this
> example will produce an fd file called OT1ptmx.fd (or T1ptmx.fd)?  What job
> to \font_variant and \raw_variant do?

\font_variant and \raw_variant give the `variant' in two forms: one
which ends up in the final font names, and one for searching for AFM
files.  For example the `x' variant ends up in the font names generated
(eg ptmrx8t) but not in the font names searched for (eg ptmr8r and
ptmr8x).  But for weirdo variants like `Sans Serif' the variant ends up
in both (eg ptmrs8t and ptmrs8r if such a thing existed).

Alan.
--
Alan Jeffrey,  Visiting Associate Professor, CTI, DePaul University, USA
Lecturer in Theoretical Computer Science, COGS, University of Sussex, UK