[edutex] Seeking feedback on a beginner's guide to LaTex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Feb 14 22:45:19 CET 2018

Hi Matt,

    https://assets.bitbashing.io/misc/latex-book.pdf

My general comment is: more examples, less text.

    pf> xelatex ... pdflatex

There is no point in discussing microtypography at all with xelatex. It
only supports kerning, not font expansion, which is the interesting part.

I think there is a point in mentioning microtypography ... only to the
extent of saying "\usepackage{microtype}" can eliminate lots of overfull
hboxes without rewriting -- when using pdflatex|lualatex, not xelatex.
Intro users do not need to know anything more in a document like this.

    pf> biblatex/biber ... bibtex

I beg to differ. For several reasons, but the main one is that
biber only runs on extremely late-version os's, while bibtex runs on
everything. -k