[edutex] updates

Frank Quinn quinn at math.vt.edu
Mon Aug 17 19:10:23 CEST 2009

As Don reported, he and I had a very useful meeting last Thursday
(2009/8/13). A number of changes will be made to incorporate this and
other information.

1) Don pointed out that there are parts of PDF still under commercial
control that might be important for us. As a result:

-- PDF is no longer the sole planned output format. We will also
explore web formats.

-- EduTeX syntax should be noncommittal as to output format.

2) EduTeX, as a working group of TUG, should be a software project.
The startup phase is part of a larger development involving
educational theory and content. These considerations will shape early
software work but  will quickly lead in directions not appropriate to
EduTeX.

-- Educational background, and systematic development of content, will
be temporarily located in "The EduMath Nursery" on the EduTeX wiki. It
will move to a separate site when an appropriate host is found.

-- This separation will enable the two aspects to evolve in their own
ways after startup, though we anticipate continuing and stimulating
collaboration.

3) The proposed syntax and development plan will change in response to
all this.

-- The modularity will be even more relentless

-- The immediate objective is implementation of "preview" mode. This
will have little or no more functionality than can be achieved with
standard LaTeX and hyperref. Form fields will be typeset simply as
boxes.

-- After "preview" is implemented, form functionality and conversion
of preexisting content will proceed in parallel. This will enable
these to influence each other.

I'll update the wiki as soon as possible, but classes are about to
start.

Frank