[dvipdfmx] default option introduced with ghostscript 9.50 leads to error message

Andreas Kirsch kirsch.andreas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 09:33:10 CET 2019

"Ghostscript now (as of 9.50) defaults to SAFER being active."

Source: https://www.ghostscript.com/doc/9.50/Use.htm#Safer

This leads in error messages when we want to use pstricks.
dvipdfmx.cfg (/usr/share/texmf-dist/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg) comments
this option:

"%% In TeX Live, we use the rungs wrapper instead of ps2pdf, becuse we
%% must omit the -dSAFER which ps2pdf specifies: in order for pstricks
%% to work with xetex,
%% /usr/local/texlive/*/texmf-dist/dvips/pstricks/pstricks.pro (for
%% example) needs to be accessed.  Also, it is better to use our
%% supplied gs on Windows."

The Solution is to expand the option list with "-dNOSAFER". Is it
possible or even the wrong solution?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Andreas