[biblio] biblatex-historian and arabxetex compatibility

Alexandre Roberts alexandre.roberts at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 17:26:41 CET 2013

Dear biblio list members,

I use xelatex/biblatex to write papers, and now my dissertation, in
Byzantine and Middle Eastern History. My documents use Latin, Greek and
Arabic scripts, and I use the "historian" style of biblatex to format my
footnotes and bibliography properly.

This worked well for me until I updated my tex installation to MacTeX 2012
(my operating system is Mac OS X 10.7.5). At that point, there appeared a
bug, namely that \footcite{...} and \footnote{\cite{...}} did not produce
the same output anymore: while \footcite{} formatted a citation in the
footnote correctly, a \cite{} command within a \footnote{} command
formatted the citation in the footnote as if it were in the Bibliography at
the end (e.g. periods instead of commas). Furthermore, a \footcite{x}
command coming after a \footnote{\cite{x}} would not format citation x like
a repeated citation -- as if \footcite was unaware of the \cite command
which came above.

(See attached files: "wrong.pdf" produced by "wrong.tex" -- produced with
the attached "test.bib")

By fiddling with it, I have figured out that this problem goes away when I
comment out \usepackage[...]{arabxetex} and associated commands.

(See attached files: "right.pdf" produced by "right.tex" -- also produced
with "test.bib")

Can anyone think of a way to make me be able to produce the correct
citations as in "right.pdf" *while using the ArabXeTeX package*?

Thank you in advance!

Alex