[accessibility] Current packages and methods of generating tagged PDF from LaTeX

Mireia Isabel Ribera Turro ribera at ub.edu
Fri Jun 28 19:14:48 CEST 2019

Hi everybody,

even though PDF/UA standard and PDF itself offers a wealth of
possibilities, as I already suggested before in this same list, I insist
that from an accessibility standpoint the format of choice should be EPUB3

There is a lot of work being done behind EPUB3 to ensure its
accessibility and standardization (Daisy Consortium signed an agreement
with IDPF to promote it as the main standard for accessibility), and it
can include MathML, SVG, synchronized audio... additionally there is the
Readium EPUB reader which fulfills many reading needs set by assistive
technologies and different user profiles.

EPUB3, such as DTBook before it, could be the intermediate format for
conversions from and to many other formats, TEX and PDF among them.

I would be glad if TUG initiated a line of work in this direction.

Best,

Mireia Ribera
Universitat de Barcelona

El 28/06/2019 a les 18:34, Jason White via accessibility ha escrit:
> From a user’s standpoint, reading the LaTeX source and reading an HTML
> or (in the future, preferably a tagged) PDF rendering are two quite
> distinct activities. It seems to me that there’s a need to support both.

Aquest missatge, i els fitxers adjunts que hi pugui haver, pot contenir informació confidencial o protegida legalment i s’adreça exclusivament a la persona o entitat destinatària. Si no consteu com a destinatari final o no teniu l’encàrrec de rebre’l, no esteu autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar-ne el contingut. Si l’heu rebut per error, informeu-ne el remitent i elimineu del sistema tant el missatge com els fitxers adjunts que hi pugui haver.

Este mensaje, y los ficheros adjuntos que pueda incluir, puede contener información confidencial o legalmente protegida y está exclusivamente dirigido a la persona o entidad destinataria. Si usted no consta como destinatario final ni es la persona encargada de recibirlo, no está autorizado a leerlo, retenerlo, modificarlo, distribuirlo o copiarlo, ni a revelar su contenido. Si lo ha recibido por error, informe de ello al remitente y elimine del sistema tanto el mensaje como los ficheros adjuntos que pueda contener.

This email message and any attachments it carries may contain confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or the person responsible for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify, send, copy or disclose any part of it. If you have received the message by mistake, please inform the sender of this and eliminate the message and any attachments it carries from your account.