[accessibility] Current packages and methods of generating tagged PDF from LaTeX

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Jun 28 18:34:29 CEST 2019

>From a user’s standpoint, reading the LaTeX source and reading an HTML or (in the future, preferably a tagged) PDF rendering are two quite distinct activities. It seems to me that there’s a need to support both.

This is true not only for proofreading one’s own manuscripts, but also for reading the work of others. Much of the journal literature consists, unfortunately, of untagged PDF at the moment – either scanned images, or unstructured text

I am also of the view that there is a need to support multiple output formats from LaTeX input, including HTML/CSS/MathML/SVG as well as accessible PDF.

The suggestion of extracting the document tree structure (in effect, elements and attributes), text and images from tagged PDF and then converting it to other formats would be worth further exploration. In effect, the tagged PDF would hold a structured rendering of the original LaTeX document, suitable for conversion to other formats as needed – as suggested earlier in this discussion.

Developers of tools such as TeX4HT might well be interested. When last I checked, they were using DVI files as their intermediate format.

The problem of mathematical notation merits a separate discussion. The minimal approach would be to embed the original LaTeX source of the expression as alternative text in the PDF. So far as I know, there’s no analogue of MathML tags that PDF reading applications can process to make mathematics accessible.

Then there are chemistry, music, and probably other notations to consider as well – just as is true on the web in general. So the solutions ought to be generalizable, so far as is feasible.