[accessibility] Current packages and methods of generating tagged PDF from LaTeX

Ulrike Fischer fischer at troubleshooting-tex.de
Thu Jun 27 15:32:57 CEST 2019

> Thank you, Ulrike. I've started reading the documentation of your package.
> What would be the best installation process to obtain your package and all
> of its dependencies?

Simply use the package manager of your texsystem. The main requirement
is that it should be up-to-date so texlive 2019
or a current miktex so that you get updates.

> I can certainly run lualatex. A small sample document would be a useful
> starting point.

There are examples in the package. Your package manager will put them
in the doc folder. The source of the documentation itself is also an
example.

> For this to become widely used, it seems to me that there will need to be
> well documented and easily used macros that LaTeX package writers can
> include in their packages to declare structural elements and delimit page
> regions.

Yes. Also the latex kernel will need hooks and changes to allow this.
But to be able to make sensible suggestions here, more tests are
needed. That's why we are interested in users trying out things and
reporting back problem, suggestions, feature requests ...

Also things are still bound to change. E.g.
the pdf Association has only just published a practice guide
https://www.pdfa.org/resource/tagged-pdf-best-practice-guide-syntax/
and this means that I will have to change the way I tagged the table
of contents in the documentation ;-(

> I also wonder whether this could become a more robust pathway to
> generating HTML as a byproduct.

I doubt it, perhaps some parts can be reused but pdf has really rather
special requirements. Beside this tex4ht is imho quite stable, mature and
powerful.

Ulrike Fischer