[accessibility] Some questions about tagged PDF

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 14:53:02 CET 2016

Hi Ross

Good to talk with you again.  We wrote:

>> 2. Could a suitable tool create a useful HTML or XML document from a tagged PDF?
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> 3. It there already such a tool?
>
> Yes. Adobe's Acrobat Pro does this already.
> It also exports into RTF and Word formats.
> So Tagged PDF provides a good solution for submitting TeX PDFs to a journal that only accepts manuscripts done in M$ Word.

This is interesting. If we can produce (good enough) tagged PDF, we
can from this also produce (good enough) HTML, XML and Word documents.
And I believe that from (good enough) XML we ought to be able to
produce (good enough) tagged PDF.

So we are, in part, also talking about round-tripping typesetting, and
LaTeX to XML.

--
Jonathan