[twg-tds] [gaulle@idris.fr: a TDS question]

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Tue Jul 1 18:48:45 CEST 2003

WS> You mean, for instance:

WS>   \input base/article.cls

WS> The TDS document does not clearly specify how this case
WS> (i.e., searching for a given _directory_ name) is to be handled.

Yes, and IMO it should not do so. The concept of file path notations
at the TeX syntax level is too diverse to include it in TDS. This
holds especially true for relative directory notations. We should be
concerned with file base names and with locations in directory trees,
but should not look at TeX notations.

And I have no problem at all in specifying that file names must be
unique within one directory tree that is searched in one step.

Bernard's example is an interesting one, but the advantages of the
current scheme are higher than the disadvantage of not being able to
use directories for variant creation. One can still use file names for
that.

Just my 0.01733 EUR (change rate as of today).

Cheers,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod					Email: jschrod at acm.org
Roedermark, Germany

	``How do we persuade new users that spreading fonts across the page
	like peanut butter across hot toast is not necessarily the route to
	typographic excellence?''			-- Peter Flynn