tds 0.9993 released

K. Berry twg-tds@mail.tug.org
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 16:57:57 -0500 (EST)

Released another tds (thanks, Ulrik).  This one will be public (see
upcoming mail).  Diff follows.

Available from:
    http://www.tug.org/tds/
    ftp://ftp.tug.org/tex/{tds.tar.gz,tds/}

The TDS prereleases on ftp://ftp.tug.org/private/ are gone now.

*** tds.tex	1997/02/04 21:31:40	1.13
--- tds.tex	1997/02/07 20:52:34
***************
*** 2,8 ****
  \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e} % sorry, compatibility with 2.09 is too painful
  \documentclass[draft]{tdsguide}

! \tdsVersion{0.9992}

  \title{A Directory Structure for \TeX{} Files}
  \author{TUG Working Group on a \TeX{} Directory Structure (TWG-TDS)}
--- 2,8 ----
  \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e} % sorry, compatibility with 2.09 is too painful
  \documentclass[draft]{tdsguide}

! \tdsVersion{0.9993}

  \title{A Directory Structure for \TeX{} Files}
  \author{TUG Working Group on a \TeX{} Directory Structure (TWG-TDS)}
***************
*** 567,573 ****
  rendered as bitmaps by a program that does not distinguish between
  different output devices, the \replaceable{mode} name shall be simply
  \path|modeless|.  The \replaceable{mode} level shall not be omitted,
! even only a single mode happens to be in use.

  \item[\path|dpi|\replaceable{nnn}] specifies the resolution of the font
  (examples: \path|dpi300|, \path|dpi329|).  `\literal{dpi}' stands for
--- 567,573 ----
  rendered as bitmaps by a program that does not distinguish between
  different output devices, the \replaceable{mode} name shall be simply
  \path|modeless|.  The \replaceable{mode} level shall not be omitted,
! even if only a single mode happens to be in use.

  \item[\path|dpi|\replaceable{nnn}] specifies the resolution of the font
  (examples: \path|dpi300|, \path|dpi329|).  `\literal{dpi}' stands for
***************
*** 903,909 ****

  The \abbr{TDS} cannot require any particular restriction on filenames in
  the tree, since the names of many existing \TeX{} files conform to no
! particular scheme. For the benefit of people who wish to make a portable
  \TeX{} distribution or installation, however, we outline here the
  necessary restrictions. The \abbr{TDS} specifications themselves are
  compatible with these.
--- 903,909 ----

  The \abbr{TDS} cannot require any particular restriction on filenames in
  the tree, since the names of many existing \TeX{} files conform to no
! standard scheme. For the benefit of people who wish to make a portable
  \TeX{} distribution or installation, however, we outline here the
  necessary restrictions. The \abbr{TDS} specifications themselves are
  compatible with these.
***************
*** 950,955 ****
--- 950,958 ----
  mapping alphabetic characters to lowercase, removing version numbers and
  trailing periods, etc.

+ Before the December 1996 release, \LaTeX{} used mixed-case names for
+ font descriptor files.  Fortunately, it never relied on case alone to
+ distinguish among the files.  Nowadays, it uses only monocase names.

  \section{Implementation issues}

***************
*** 978,989 ****

  Consequently, most of the first trials of the \abbr{TDS} will be made by
  members of the \abbr{TDS} committee and/or developers of \TeX{}-related
! software.  Indeed, some of this has taken place during the course of our
  deliberations (see Appendix~\ref{sec:Related references} for a sample
  tree available electronically).  They will certainly result in the
  production of a substantial number of \abbr{TDS}-compliant packages.
! Indeed, the te\TeX{} and \TeX{} Live distributions are TDS-compliant and
! in use now at many sites.

  Once installable forms of key \abbr{TDS}-compliant packages are more
  widespread, some \TeX{} administrators will set up \abbr{TDS}-compliant
--- 981,992 ----

  Consequently, most of the first trials of the \abbr{TDS} will be made by
  members of the \abbr{TDS} committee and/or developers of \TeX{}-related
! software.  This has already taken place during the course of our
  deliberations (see Appendix~\ref{sec:Related references} for a sample
  tree available electronically).  They will certainly result in the
  production of a substantial number of \abbr{TDS}-compliant packages.
! Indeed, the \application{te\TeX{}} and \application{\TeX{} Live}
! distributions are \abbr{TDS}-compliant and in use now at many sites.

  Once installable forms of key \abbr{TDS}-compliant packages are more
  widespread, some \TeX{} administrators will set up \abbr{TDS}-compliant
***************
*** 1324,1330 ****
  An alternative was to use the utility name below which all such
  directories could be gathered.  That has the advantage of separating,
  say, \path|gsftopk|-generated bitmaps from \path|ps2pk|-generated ones.
! However, we decided this was not sufficient; most sites will use only
  one program for the purpose.  Also, we specify that every font
  identifies its creator in specials in the font file itself.

--- 1327,1333 ----
  An alternative was to use the utility name below which all such
  directories could be gathered.  That has the advantage of separating,
  say, \path|gsftopk|-generated bitmaps from \path|ps2pk|-generated ones.
! However, we decided this was not necessary; most sites will use only