Which place for docs in French, German, etc?

Michel LAVAUD TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 11:25:11 +0100

To: TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Subject: Re: Which place for docs in French, German, etc?

> I hope that this does not imply that you were upset with the reaction
> on this list to your suggestion. As anyone who has followed this list
> for any time will confirm, the style of discussion here is rather
> argumentative:-) but that doesn't mean agreement can not be reached...

No, I am not at all upset, I was just joking about frogs and
beer. I was just serious in saying "dvips-fr" would be a bad
choice, in my opinion. It is quite normal in science, to use
different solutions to solve different problems. If a colleague
tells me it is not necessary to use quantum mechanics to solve
his problem, I do agree, of course. Why would he be bothered with
unnecessary complications? On the other hand, the fact that my
colleague has no necessity of QM does not mean I have not to use
it, if my problem requires it. As for French doc, the scheme
"dvips-fr" is not satisfactory, so people who will translate have
to use something else, I did not imply more than that.

> I have seen three translation projects started and not finished in the
> past, and would rather like to wait for results before we change the
> doc/ structure in the radical manner you came up with. Please note
> that that comment shall not degrade your effort, they will be a big
> enhancements to the current state of affairs -- but the last dozen
> years I have been involved in TeX projects have taught me to be
> careful in changing existing working stuff due to announcements.

Yes, I do agree, and this is precisely what I said: let TDS as it
is, do the translation work with our own internal organization of
files, then go back to TDS and see what we can do.

Michel Lavaud  (lavaud@univ-orleans.fr)