Which place for docs in French, German, etc?

David Carlisle TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Sat, 2 Mar 96 12:06:00 GMT

> It is better, for the time being, I forget about TDS
> proposals for doc, go on translating important docs into French
> with other members of AsTeX association, and try to organize
> these the way we think could be best for French users.

I hope that this does not imply that you were upset with the reaction
on this list to your suggestion. As anyone who has followed this list
for any time will confirm, the style of discussion here is rather
argumentative:-) but that doesn't mean agreement can not be reached...

In fact this comment of yours perhaps suggests your different viewpoint
(and suggests you might be right after all) I think that I would
prefer to see a `package first' organisation if the availabilty of
documentation in other languages was very low, as otherwise the
doc/<language> trees are very sparse, and I do think it would make it
harder rather than easier for people to find information, however if
as you hint above, plans are underway to provide rather large amounts
of non-English docs then a doc/<language> scheme looks a lot more
attractive as it would make sense for a native french speaker (say) to
look first in doc/french and have some reasonable chance of finding
some relevant documentation.

David