Which place for docs in French, German, etc?

Alan Jeffrey TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Thu, 29 Feb 96 13:20 GMT

>Ah, thanks; I see your point now. I think you misunderstood me.
>Consider the practical case of an English-speaking user who knows
>only English and French, but who does not know German, Dutch,
>Chinese, Japanese etc. Under my scheme, he will have only two
>folders, one pointing to doc/us (or doc/en) and another pointing
>to doc/fr.

That assumes that the user would rather have no documentation at all
rather than documentation in (eg) German.  I for one would rather have
documentation in any language than none at all (I can still read the
code examples if nothing else).

And I'll say it again: most packages are only documented in one
language.  Very few have documenation in many languages, and most of
those would (like David's example) have most of the documentation in
one language, with a little summary in another (so splitting the
documentation makes no sense).  I see no reason to make 99% of
people's lives inconvenient in order to make the 1% of packages with
documentation in more than one language better.

Alan.