more thoughts on .htm vs .html

Sebastian Rahtz TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:23:38 GMT

 > 1.) I heard that Netscape on DOS/Win might be clever enough to find
 >     a file "index.htm" on the local filesystem even if a link points
 >     to "index.html".  Whether this means that it does an 8+3 truncation
 >     of the requested file name internally or whether it just knows
 >     about the extension ".html"  as a special case, I don't know.
but that doesnt help the other long names, does it

 >     If the ISOization process would mean that a file "index.html"
 >     under RockRidge really showed up as "index.htm" under ISO and
it does

 > 2.) Concerning Joachim's complaint regarding long filenames for TeX
 >     packages such as "chapterbib" not being found when stored with
 >     a truncated name:  I vaguely recall having read somewhere that

the news is worse than i expected. i have mounted my RRIP teTeX CD
under Linux, and when i look at it in a DOS window, i see

 Volume in drive D is /
 Directory of D:\CDROM\TEXMF\TEX\LATEX\TOOLS

[.]             [..]            AFTER~RP.STY    ARRAY.STY       DCOLUMN.STY
DELARRAY.STY    E.TEX           ENUME~9X.STY    FONTSMPL.STY    FONTSMPL.TEX
FTNRIGHT.STY    H.TEX           HHLINE.STY      INDEN~7J.STY    LAYOUT.STY
LONGT~76.STY    MULTICOL.STY    RAWFONTS.STY    S.TEX           SHOWKEYS.STY
SOMEDEFS.STY    TABULARX.STY    THB.STY         THC.STY         THCB.STY
THEOREM.STY     THM.STY         THMB.STY        THP.STY         TRANS.TBL
VARIOREF.STY    VERBATIM.STY    VERBTEST.TEX    X.TEX           XR.STY
XSPACE.STY
       36 file(s)        161,540 bytes
                               0 bytes free

not quite what the doctor ordered, is it?

or is this an artefact of

yes, i loaded the CD on a DOS machine (ugh, i had to wash my hands
afterwards) and saw LONGTABL.STY and so on.

so in fact we are OK. the DOS people see what they want. what will
*not* work is if you copy from a DOS-viewed CD to Unix, because you
will take the truncation with you

do we have a VMS volunteer to see what they see?

sebastian