TDS / Unix CD work

Thomas Esser TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 18:01:46 +0100

>  > That depends on how you set up the search path.  Perhaps it might
>  > be a good idea to the platform-independ stuff like Perl or shell
>  > scripts into CD:/bin and only the binaries into CD:/bin/system.
> i'll let Thomas comment on that...

Two things:
  - I do not like files of the same type at different directory levels
  - that way the user has to add *two* directories to his PATH.

It is really not hard to copy a set of scripts from one 'master'
directory into all the other subdirectories. It is just 1 minute of
shell programming...

>  > Well, perhaps I might have another look, but only if someone
>  > else (Thomas?) would take care of producing the binaries for all
>  > platforms. Also note that including MetaPost involves messing
>  > around with teTeX's kpathsea library and rebuilding kpsetool.
> oh horrors. this  is getting unfunny. i dont think we should do it
> this time

No, I definately do not want to recompile teTeX for all the 17
platforms I now have binaries for...

>  > How many platforms are there already in standard teTeX and how many
>  > do you plan to support?  But yes, you're right, any program that's
>  > added needs to be compiled for each platform.
> there are 12 now. thomas sent me 5 more today, and there are certainly
> others

At least solaris-2.5 will be added.

Thomas