[texhax] visualize font expansion

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue Jun 21 19:42:26 CEST 2011

Paul Isambert wrote:
> Le 21/06/2011 16:16, Arno Trautmann a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was just having some fun with Paul Isamert's nice article in the
>> TUGboat 31, 3.
>
> `Isambert', actually, but thanks for the appreciation :)

Sorry; I'll just write Paul next time ;)

>> Now I wanted to extend that code to show the influence of font expansion
>> on the badness. It is already very impressive to see how the greyness of
>> the page is much smoother when working with mircotype. However, I'd like
>> to colorize the amount of stretching/shrinking directly for each line. I
>> tried to access the expansion_factor field for the first glyph node in
>> each line, but I always get a "0" as result. So I assume, I'm doing
>> something stupid. Is expansion_factor the correct field after all?
>
> That's a field I've been wondering about for some time now, and perhaps
> even had an answer once (from Taco or my own investigations) and have
> forgotten it...

aw :(

> Anyway that's apparently not the right field, or there is some trouble
> with its value for the moment.

Ok, that's how far I got, too … But is it supposed to provide the
information I want?

> But you can compare your (expanded) glyph
> node's width with its normal width in the font. Suppose you're
> investigating node N, then:

Yes, that works fine, thank you! However, it is horribly slow – for some
10 lines it takes half a minute …

> Hope I haven't said too many false things, I haven't investigated those
> things lately.

Not too wrong, as it works at least …

Thank you very much,
Arno