[texhax] Long entries in index

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/OCOO/ITSO) rjf2 at cdc.gov
Thu Jun 9 16:29:57 CEST 2011

> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:22:34 -0400
> From: Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com>
> To: texhax at tug.org
> Subject: [texhax] Long entries in index
>
> Index is printed in two columns. If some entries are too long, they
> are not wrapped and either overlap with another column or go out
> of margins.
>
> Is there any way to make an automatic wrapping?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Victor

I recommend that you put long index entries in the ToC
and find a good reference on indexing, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Indexing-Companion-Glenda-Browne/dp/0521689880

An index entry consists of approximately two words:
syntax:
<verb>ing <object(s)>
e.g.:

wrapping text

deleting folders

indexing special characters

remember the purpose of an index: quick searching

Ron Fehd  an indexing maven