Two important new books

Last night, I bought two important new books which have just appeared
at bookstores in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA:

The preface to the first begins:

    This books brings together more than 30 articles nad notes that I
    have written about the subject of digital typography, popularly
    called ``desktop publishing''.  ... I guess I must have ink in my

@String{pub-CSLI                = "CSLI Publications"}
@String{pub-CSLI:adr            = "Stanford, CA, USA"}

  author =       "Donald E. Knuth",
  title =        "Digital Typography",
  publisher =    pub-CSLI,
  address =      pub-CSLI:adr,
  pages =        "xvi + 685",
  year =         "1999",
  ISBN =         "1-57586-011-2 (cloth), 1-57586-010-4 (paperback)",
  LCCN =         "Z249.3.K59 1998",
  bibdate =      "Sat May 08 07:52:35 1999",
  price =        "US\$29.95",
  acknowledgement = ack-nhfb,

The second book is the long-awaited definition of PostScript Language
Level 3.  While previous editions of several Adobe PostScript books
had a distinctive spine, with red at the top, and white at the bottom,
this new one unfortunately has a black spine, with red and white
lettering, making it harder to spot on a bookshelf.  The cover retains
the old red/white style.

Although Apple and Xante have been shipping printers with Level 3
support for more than two years, Hewlett-Packard (visit them at
http://www.hp.com/go/printers) only in the last few months, with the
new HP Color LaserJet 8500, offers such support, and the number two
printer vendor, Lexmark, has yet to do so.

@String{pub-AW                  = "Ad{\-d}i{\-s}on-Wes{\-l}ey"}
@String{pub-AW:adr              = "Reading, MA, USA"}

  author =       "{Adobe Systems Incorporated}",
  title =        "{PostScript} Language Reference",
  publisher =    pub-AW,
  address =      pub-AW:adr,
  edition =      "Third",
  pages =        "xii + 897",
  year =         "1999",
  ISBN =         "0-201-37922-8",
  LCCN =         "QA76.73.P67 P67 1999",
  bibdate =      "Sat May 08 07:43:15 1999",
  price =        "US\$49.95, CDN\$74.95",
  acknowledgement = ack-nhfb,

Entries for these books, and related publications, can be found in the
bibliography archives at

The master Web page for these collections can be found at

with brief journal tables-of-contents at

and extensive cross-referenced journal article indexes at

These collections are mirrored regularly to several other Internet
archives, include the huge Karlsruhe Computer Science archive at

That page includes pointers to eight mirror sites around the globe.

The Karlsruhe archive contains about 930,000 entries, of which 232,659
come from the Utah archive.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 322 INSCC                   beebe@acm.org        -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                                    beebe@ieee.org       -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -