Re: Problem with type 42 font

Hi,

I made a Type42 font of the MS's Times New Roman using ttftot42(*),
and I had the same problems.  I used MS's ttfdump to get the tables,
and the 'vhea' table is missing.  According to the Type 42
specification (*), the 'vhea' table is required by the Type42
rasterizer.  But I also had problems with Chicago (from Apple)
(ttftot42 said that this was in an invalid TrueType format), and
Verdana (which you didn't seem to have a problem with).  However, If I
use the MacOS version of the font and Apple's LaserWriter driver
(which will write out Type 42 fonts). Times New Roman caused *no*
problems with Distiller, but it did cause problems with GhostScript.
In fact, all of the type 42 fonts put out by ttftot42 have problems with
both gs and Distiller, whereas LaserWriter Type 42 fonts will Distill
fine but choke gs.  I suspect that gs doesn't have as robust a Type 42
rasterizer as a CPSI, and that ttftot42 isn't writing compliant Type 42
fonts.

I had problems with ttf2ps. I couldn't get it to write out a PS file
from a TrueType font.  What version are you using?  Where did you get
it?  The copy I am using I found at

http://www.leo.org/pub/comp/usenet/comp.sources.postscript/ttf2ps/ttf2ps.tar.gz/.

Oh yeah, there are some gotchas listed in the Type 42 spec about the
format of the /sfnt array.  It has to do with the alignment of TT
tables and glyph descriptions.  I am not sure if ttftot42 is
"compliant" in this case, as I haven't groked the code just yet.