Re: ttf2pk for TeX Live 4

>> Well, many foundries sell the identical typeface in TrueType and in
>> PostScript format.

> In addition, in many cases there are related but not identical
> typefaces in T1 and TT format that have matching metrics so one can
> be substituted for the other without too dramatic differences.  But
> such "clones" while having identical metrics can often be
> distinguished by typographic detail.  And typically do have
> different names - even if only slightly different.

> For example, Windows comes with Times New Roman in TT format, which
> is used as a substitute for Times Roman in T1 format.  And Arial in
> TT format is used as a substitude for Helvetica, and Courier New as
> a substitute for Courier.  In each case the metrics match, but the
> shapes are distinguishable if you know what to look for.

Well, if you want to make the distinction clear, you should not
forget to look at the original suppliers.

   Adobe Times Roman (from Linotype)	-> ptm
   Adobe Helvetica (from Linotype)	-> phv
   Adobe Courier			-> pcr

   Monotype Times New Roman		-> mnt
   Monotype Arial			-> ma1
   Monotype Corrier New			-> mcr

Now the real question is whether Monotype TT fonts on Windows
are excatly the same as the Monotype TT fonts on Solaris 2.6.

Another question is whehter Monotype Bembo in TT is the same
as Adobe Bembo (licendsed from Monotype) in T1.

>> In case the fonts are really equal, the mktexpk script is set up that
>> the PS incarnation is found first, AFAIK.

>> So it might be nice to have an install script for TTF/PS fonts which
>> warns if a identically named PS/TTF font is installed already.

If you get a font in both TTF and PS format from the same supplier,
chances are good that both fonts should be exactly the same.  However,
if you are comparing Times vs. Times New or Helvetica vs. Arial, which
come from different suppliers, I don't see the point in pretending
that both are the same, although they are most likely not identical.

Cheers, Ulrik.