Re: Q: Unicode available/planned for (La)TeX(3)?

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 02:58:05PM +0100, Eric Maryniak wrote:

> Q: is there a (La)TeX variant, style, documentclass option, ...?, where you
>    can use Unicode? Eg., I would imagine something like:
>
>   \documentclass[10pt,twoside,a4paper,unicode]{article}

More knowledgeable people will reply wisely to this,
but my immediate reaction would be that you need to distinguish
between input encoding and font encoding.
In this case you are presumably talking of font encoding,
so your hopeful heading would more likely read

\documentclass[10pt,twoside,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[unicode]{fontenc}

The trouble with this is that TeX fonts can only hold 256 characters,
while unicode is almost infinite.

Having said that, I believe there are extensions to TeX
-- perhaps omega? -- which do allow use of unicode.
Unfortunately I know nothing of these.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie