Re: How can I check for the existence of a glyph in TeX?

>At 11:21 PM 98/09/09 +0100, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
[snip]
>>Those of us in the rest of the world who use vf files are in a different
>>position.  There's no deception involved: if there is no glyph, it *does*
>>tell you.  But...  It's the dvi driver that tells you all about the missing
>>glyph when you come to look at the dvi file.
>
>Argh!  My TeX tells me right away about missing glyphs (on screen and in
>the log file) and gives me the context so I can tell where the problem is!

Yes, but if you're using vfs created by fontinst (which you don't since you
don't use vfs), it handles missing glyphs differently.  There is (AFAIK) no
way for a TeX to tell the difference between a missing glyph rule in a vf
and a real glyph.

The advantage of this method is that you get to see exactly where the
problem is without having to muck around with log files and whatnot:
there's a big black splodge on the page which you can't miss.  The problem
with it is that TeX can't know about the problem.  I don't believe that
your TeX can know about it either.

Rowland.