Re: TrueType font naming scheme

   > My question was about
   >
   >    ttf->tfm
   >    ps ->tfm
   >
   >from the same font in two different font formats and its implications.

   Ah!  I see; I didn't get this point.  I wasn't aware that using tfms
   generated from ttf files was a practical proposition (I know of no way of
   generating tfms from ttf files on a Mac, so I've not thought about this way
   of doing things for some years).

Well, the FreeType library has been ported recently to the Mac (the
necessary changes are not yet in the CVS repository), and since my
command line program `ttf2tfm' (which uses FreeType) is written in
ANSI C, it should be not too difficult to port it to the Mac either
(any volunteers welcome :-)

   It's just struck me that I have some Truetype founts that I use with tfm
   files generated from afm files; I've got some shareware founts that come in
   Truetype and PS Type 1 versions.  In some of these cases, afm files are
   also supplied.  I've used fontinst to create suitable tfm and vf files from
   the afms so I can use the Truetype versions (this predates me having enough
   RAM to want to use ATM).  This is slightly different to the situation with
   the PSNFSS stuff.

   Is there aspect of this that you might be interested in?

Yes and no. My tool can directly create tfm files from TT fonts (only
ligatures are missing, but ttf2tfm adds the default TeX ligatures if
possible) -- I'm arguing about the metric differences ps->tfm
resp. ttf->tfm...

    Werner