bakoma tfms: Checksum mismatch Mystery solved

At 03:20 PM 3/27/98 +0000, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

>>>I have bakoma installed, so I have checked the tfm files of bakoma
>>>against those of cm and the following were reported as differing by
>>>`diff':

>>>cmmi6
>>>cmmi7
>>>cmmi8
>>>cmmi9
>>>cmmib10

OK, mystery solved (sort of of).  I checked these fonts and the BaKoMa
CM math italic  fonts have an added glyph in char code 128 for an
alternate form of `kappa'.  As a result, the TFM files are different,
and the checksum is also different.  Of course, it is a little odd that
these fonts are still called CM despite this little `enhancement', but...

Regards, Berthold.

P.S. If you were wondering about my earlier rumblings about cmss9
and cmssi9:  the problem here was that I was looking at the TFM
files on our local Unix system, and it has some TFMs from 1986.
While most of these are identical to the ones on CTAN in /fonts/cm/tfm
(modulo an errant null character on the end of all TFM files
on CTAN), for some reason the files for cmss9 and cmssi9 are
different.  Presumably the  digits 0-9 and the dollar were redesigned
somewhere along  the line.

I did notice that the set of TFM files on CTAN lacks cmfi10.tfm,
and has an extraneous fixed width font called cmsa10.tfm ---
I have no idea what that is about.

In addition, dummy.tfm, cmman.tfm and manfnt.tfm differ from
what I have locally.  Sort diminishes ones trust in the foundations...

Berthold K.P. Horn
MIT AI Laboratory
mailto: bkph@ai.mit.edu