Re: bakoma tfms: Checksum mismatch

At 04:31 PM 98/03/24 +0100, Stefano Frabetti wrote:

>I have bakoma installed, so I have checked the tfm files of bakoma
>against those of cm and the following were reported as differing by
>`diff':

>cmmi6
>cmmi7
>cmmi8
>cmmi9
>cmmib10

Why would you use other than the TFMs you already have?
The Type 1 versions of the fonts supposedly have identical
metrics to the MetaFont/PK versions.

>1.  Is it possible that tex uses bakoma's tfm and xdvi cm's, or the other
>way round and this be the cause of the warnings?  ---

A dangerous situation when the DVI processor sees different
TFM files than TeX.  Which is why I prefer DVI processors
that do not need to refer to TFM files (after all, the font
knows its metrics).

>The fact is I do not
>understand what kind of checksum it is and who does it in the first place.

>2.  In each case, why *do* this tfms differ?

Run TFtoPL on the TFM files and compare.

Generally checksum mismatches provide only something between
zero and one bit of information.  Which is pretty poor for a
32 bit field (:-)

Berthold