Re: Arial fonts

   From: Bernd Hertel <bhertel@de.lhsgroup.com>

   I'm looking for an Arial (or similar) font to use under LaTeX. The
   format can be mf or type 1. If somebody of you knows about a TTF to
   type 1 converter, this would do also because this Arial font comes as
   a TTF with Windows (Word).

   I can use type 1 fonts because of the extremly helpful fontinst
   and vfinst packages (many kotau's to the authors).

You don't say what TeX system you are using.  Several allow you to use
TrueType fonts directly.  These have their own method for writing TFM files.

If you must have Type 1, get Arial MT from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com)
or MonoType.  At one point Arial MT was bundled with ATM for Windows.

I wouldn't recommend converting between font formats since the hinting
will be lost, and `auto hinting' substituted. But if you must do this,
use TypeDesigner which does a slightly better job than some of the others.

MicroSoft's Arial is one of a very small number of TrueType fonts
with outstanding hinting (done by Type Solutions in New Hampshire).
You can tell how much work this was by converting to Type 1 form and back
again: the file size shrinks by one half!

   Bernd Hertel                .............eMail bhertel@de.lhsgroup.com
   LHS Spezifications GmbH     .............eMail bhertel@t-online.de (private)
   Otto-Hahn-Strasse 36        .............Tel.  +49 6103 482 627
   63303 Dreieich-Sprendlingen

Berthold.