quotesingle and quoteright in PSNFSS

On my system I have the 0.2 version of 8r.enc.  My question now is why
we're using quotesingle instead of quoteright for the apostrophe
character.  I prefer the quoteright character, but don't see how to
get it.  The only thing I can think of is to change the 8r.enc and
regenerate ALL my psnfss fonts, a daunting task.  Is there a make file
for this purpose?  But surely there's something I'm missing.   Do I
have an out-of-date psnfss distribution?

    % @psencodingfile{
    %   author = "P. MacKay, Alan Jeffrey, S. Rahtz, K. Berry, B. Horn",
    %   version = "0.2",
    %   date = "7 September 94",
    %   filename = "8r.enc",
    %   email = "kb@cs.umb.edu",
    %   address = "135 Center Hill Rd. // Plymouth, MA 02360",
    %   codetable = "ISO/ASCII",
    %   checksum = "xx",
    %   docstring = "Encoding for TrueType or Type 1 fonts to be used with TeX."
    % }

    % 0x20 (ASCII begins)
     /space /exclam /quotedbl /numbersign
     /dollar /percent /ampersand /quotesingle
     /parenleft /parenright /asterisk /plus /comma /hyphen /period /slash

and the Times Roman fd header, for instance, here currently is:

    %Filename: 8rptm.fd
    %Created by: tex 14160times
    %Created using fontinst v1.335

    %THIS FILE SHOULD BE PUT IN A TEX INPUTS DIRECTORY

    \ProvidesFile{8rptm.fd}
       [1995/08/11 Fontinst v1.335 font definitions for 8r/ptm.]

    \DeclareFontFamily{8r}{ptm}{}