Re: newbie question

Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren:

> actually, I'm not precisely a newbie - I've used fontinst on an off
> since it was first announced.  however, the discrepancies between the
> program and the written documentation have always been puzzling.

> if I do (in version 1.801)

> \input fontinst.sty
> \installfonts
>    \latinfamily{ptm}{}
> \bye

> the results are _nothing_.  if I precede the \latinfamily invocation
> with \fromafm{ptmr8r} (etc.), the mtx files are generated and
> \latinfamily does its stuff.  in fact, I've never had any success with
> the do-it-all-macros.

I think the documentation is right, but the results strongly depens
on which files are found in your search path.  In recent teTeX-0.9
distributions, fontinst.ini is used to dump a fontinst format file,
and the TEXINPUTS.fontinst search path does include TEXMF/fonts/afm
as well as TEXMF/tex/fontinst//.

 If the AFM files are found, the result of the above fontinst run
will be OK, but if not, the results will indeed be nothing but a
bunch of near-empty files.

Hope this explains it.

Cheers, Ulrik.