Re: checksum inconsistencies for virtual postscript fonts on CTAN

Ah! Another tempest in the tea cup about checksums :-)
The current checksum scheme is IMHO near worthless.
Particularly when the algorithm changes over time.
See my proposal to use radix 40 encoding of the encoding vector name...

At 12:37 PM 98/07/27 +0200, Bernd Anhaeupl wrote:
>After installing the new vf and tfm files from CTAN:fonts/psfonts/adobe,
>(and removing the old ones)  dvipsk reports many font checksum errors,
>__even if the dvi files are regenerated from their TeX sources__.

By the way, consider downloading lw35nfsx.zip instead of lw35nfss.zip
It is 150k instead of 800k and provides most of the same capabilities
at much lowered complexity.  And no checksum nightmares between
VF and TFM, since it doesn't use VF...

Berthold.

Berthold K.P. Horn
Cambridge, MA		mailto:bkph@ai.mit.edu