Re: Behaviour of \latinfamily

>> > `Expert sets, if available, can also be used where possible (for small
>> > caps, extra ligatures, etc.) by appending an `x' to the family name; if a
>> > `9' is appended to the name, then a set of fonts using old-style digits is
>> > built'.
>> >
>> > Vital missing information: how do you persuade it to *use* small caps
>> > glyphs (etc) from supplied afm files, and which family name are you talking
>> you dont have to persuade it, it just does it

> I've run \latinfamily on a set of afms that included old-style numerals and
> the result did not include a fount with old style numerals:

> FontName CaslonBookBE-RegularExp
> FullName Caslon Book BE Regular Expert
> FamilyName Caslon Book BE

> afm name: pckr8x.afm

> Instruction to fontinst: \latinfamily{pck}{}

> Result: a set of pl and vpl files none of which used any glyphs from
> pckr8x.afm.  I've searched the log file for occurances of pckr8x, and there
> are no occurances of 8x anywhere in it.

You presumably should have said \latinfamily{pckx}{} to install the
expertized versions or \latinfamily{pck9}{} to install an oldstyle
version. Read the first paragraph again!

> Clearly, fontinst did not `just do it'.  What do you have to do to get
> fontinst to use expert encoded founts?  Is it just adding an `x' or `9'
> onto the end of the family name in \latinfamily?

Yes.  Alternatively, if you're using Sebastian's Perl scripts,  you can say

  perl make-fam.pl [-options...] -expert x <fam>

Cheers, Ulrik.