Re: Behaviour of \latinfamily

>Rebecca and Rowland writes:
> > Right (I think).  So fontinst begins by writing xxx8r.mtx which it also
> > turns into xxx8r.pl?  And you rely on the dvi driver/printer to encode the
> > `real' Type 1 fount in 8r encoding?
>no, i rely on the instructions i give eg dvips in its map file. its not
>built into dvips

The re-encoding *is* built into dvips.  OzTeX's QuickDraw dvi driver can't
re-encode; dvips can.  You rely on dvips to do the re-encoding.  Of course
it needs the instructions to do it, but it does do it.  The other way of
doing it would be to use the vf mechanism to re-map 8r->8a (or whatever),
but that means you miss out glyphs that are un-numbered in the native
encoding.

I think we've been talking at cross-purposes here.

Rowland.