[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: kerning in slanted/unslanted founts
- To: Chris Rowley <C.A.Rowley@open.ac.uk>
- Subject: Re: kerning in slanted/unslanted founts
- From: Alan Jeffrey <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 12:15:08 -0600
- CC: fontinst list <email@example.com>
- Organization: DePaul University
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Rowley wrote:
> But, as Lars said more quantitatively, kern values do not depend only
> on what happens horizontally. The visual nearness of two shapes
> depends on "non-horizontal relationships" between black pixels, and
> these are not preserved by skew transformations.
OK, point taken. But, as Lars also pointed out, there's not much
fontinst can do here, since it only `knows' about bounding boxes.
Trying to compute visual distances between glyphs is a bit beyond both
me and the software...
Alan Jeffrey, CTI, DePaul University, 243 S Wabash, Chicago IL 60604