Re: Math Arrows and Harpoons

At 15:33 +0000 1998/11/13, David Carlisle wrote:
>(Hans if you are on math-font I'll kill that CC so we don't all get
>multiple copies: speaking of which sorry that posters get a bounce from
>an ancient past address of mine. I've asked Alan to remove it from the
>list)

Whatever is OK; I'm on the list, but my email browser also has a "delete"
button. :-) Sometimes CC makes the reply be distributed quicker.

At 17:13 +0100 1998/11/13, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>2) which of the missing symmetry cases will be adopted into STIX
>   submission (since these will also need a glyph slot and I'd rather
>   have them filled beforehand). This is important because it will
>   save me a lot of work in the future.

I suggest you put up the cases of known missing symmetries. The problem is
though that as soon there is such an asymmetrical, one may want to use the
mirror reversed variation.

>There is, however, a limit to the amount of full symmetry cases that
>can be included. As I said before: I don't want to spend the next five
>years on this subject. And I doubt anyone would be happy with three
>different fonts that all contain arrows. Also, there is little point
>in adding glyphs that will never ever be used.

You could easily fill up a whole Unicode plane (by the way how does it work
with these planes?) without spending five years on the subject by declaring
that say the first four bits (out of total of sixteen) is the slope say a
15 degree increment 0 - 180), the next four bits a choice of beginning of
the arrow, the next four bits a choice of shaft, and the last four bits a
choice of end of the arrow. Then the computer draws an arrow based on that
information. (I think one would need more than just sixteen bits.)

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:haberg@member.ams.org>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>